Gas safety certificates: A complete guide

Gas safety certificates play a very important role in keeping any property with gas appliances as safe as possible for the inhabitants. And, whether you’re a landlord, tenant, or homeowner, there’s quite a bit of key information to get to grips with when it comes to gaining and maintaining a certificate.

In this guide, we aim to give you a complete overview of gas safety certificates and how they work, including explaining who needs them, what they cover, and how to apply for one.

We’ll cover:

What is a gas safety certificate?

A gas safety certificate — less commonly known as a CP12 or gas safety record — is a document that’s issued once a registered engineer has carried out an inspection of your property’s gas appliances to ensure they are working safely and in an efficient manner.

What does a gas safety certificate cover?

When a check is carried out, all of the gas appliances and flues in the property are inspected. This ranges from your boiler and oven to pipework and chimneys. The results of each inspection are recorded on your certificate.

There isn’t a standard form for the certificate, but many registered engineers use a document based on the old CP12 (CORGI Proforma 12) dating back to when CORGI were the UK’s gas safety body. The certificate will detail all of the checks that have been carried out and approved by the engineer.

At the very least, the record must contain:

  • Details of all the appliances or flues that have been checked, including a description and location.
  • Details and approval of the engineer who undertook the inspection, including a name, registration number, and signature.
  • The date of the inspection.
  • The address of the property that was inspected.
  • Name and address of the property owner or landlord (or agent).
  • Details of any defects found and any remedial action that was recommended.
  • Confirmation that the checks covered the matters referred to in paragraphs (a) to (d) of regulation 26(9) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

How long does gas safety certificate last?

A gas safety certificate is valid for 12 months from the date of the gas safety check. This limit is only legally enforced for landlords, who have a duty to arrange annual inspections for their properties. Tenants should make sure that their landlord upholds this responsibility to renew the certificate. Though not legally required, homeowners are advised to arrange a check each year to ensure safety.

How much does a gas safety certificate cost?

There is not a set price for booking in a check to get a gas safety certificate, as fees can vary depending on a number of factors like your location, time of the day, the rates charged, and the number of appliances and flues being checked in your property. You should also be wary of services offering very low prices, as they may not be qualified to carry out a legal gas safety check.

Who needs a gas safety certificate?

Whether or not you need a gas safety certificate all depends on what role you have in relation to the property. These roles are:

Is a gas safety certificate a legal requirement?

If you are a landlord, then you are legally required to organise a check and obtain copies of the certificate. On the other hand, if you are a tenant, it is your landlord’s legal responsibility to provide you with the certificate.

Homeowners are not obliged by law to possess a gas safety certificate, but it is recommended that you organise a safety check and get some form of documentation by a registered engineer. You can find more details of gas safety certificates for each role below.

Gas safety certificates for landlords

When it comes to the maintenance of gas appliances in a property, a landlord’s responsibilities are outlined in regulation 36 of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. This requires all landlords to ensure all appliances and flues are maintained, a gas check is carried out, and a gas safety certificate documenting the check is kept on record. The certificate can be issued to your tenant electronically, but you must be able to provide a paper copy if requested.

The only situation where you, as a landlord, are not responsible for gas safety certificates is when a tenant brings in their own gas appliance for use in the property. It is then up to them to arrange gas checks. It should be noted that you are still responsible for the flues and pipework that provide supply to any appliance.

As a landlord, you must ensure the appliances/flues in your property are checked and a certificate is issued every 12 months. You then have to provide this documentation to your tenant within 28 days of the check being carried out. For new tenants, you must issue a certificate as soon as they move in. The check will also need to have been carried out within 12 months before the lease start date. All records of gas safety checks should be kept for two years after issue.

In April 2018, The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 2018 were issued. This amendment provides more flexibility for landlords when arranging a date for a check and certificate. Under these rules, you can arrange a gas check up to two months before your deadline but still keep the same annual due date. This provides more leeway for you to arrange the safety check.

You should also be aware that a gas safety certificate is a “living document”, which means that it needs to be supplemented with evidence if any recommendations are made. So, if the engineer states that a particular appliance or flue needs maintenance or replacing, it’s your responsibility to carry out the work and include evidence with the certificate itself.

You can find out more about a landlord’s duties in our guide to gas safety for landlords, which covers more general responsibilities, as well as gas checks.

Gas safety certificates for tenants

If you are a tenant, you do not need to arrange for a gas safety check and certificate, as this is the responsibility of your landlord.

They should provide you with a copy of the certificate every twelve months within 28 days of an inspection being carried out, or upon the day your tenancy begins if you’re just moving in. Your landlord can provide you with an electronic copy of the documentation, but they must also be able to issue a paper version if you need one.

As this is a legal requirement, you are entitled to a copy of the gas safety certificate. Should you not receive your document, you should get in touch with your landlord as soon as possible. If they do not comply, you can report them to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) via the LGSR1 form.

In addition, your landlord must ensure any work recommended by the engineer’s certificate is carried out and evidence of this happening is documented.

As a tenant, you are not free from responsibility when it comes to gas safety certificates. Should you bring in and use any gas appliances that belongs to you and not your landlord, it becomes your responsibility to arrange a check and certification, though the landlord retains a duty to have any supply pipework or flues inspected and ratified (unless the flue solely serves your appliance). You also have a duty not to use any appliance that you believe may be dangerous.

Gas safety certificates for homeowners

For homeowners, it is not a legal requirement to obtain a gas safety certificate, but, for safety, it’s highly recommended that an inspection by a registered engineer is carried out.

Around 5.5 million people in the UK go without a gas safety check each year, according to research by the Gas Safe Register, putting millions of homes at risk of faulty appliances or flues. Organising a check is relatively inexpensive and will help to keep you and your loved ones safe.

You can learn more about ensuring gas safety at home in our guide to gas safety for homeowners.

How long does it take to get a gas safety certificate?

It can be difficult to give an exact time frame for how long it takes to get a certificate. This can depend on a range of factors, including when an engineer is available to be booked, whether there are any problems with your appliances or flues, and how the engineer operates.

Depending on how an engineer works, they may be able to issue a gas safety certificate immediately upon completion of the safety check, or, there could be a slight delay, especially if the document is issued electronically. Typically, a gas safety check will take 30 minutes to an hour, though this can hinge on the number of appliances and flues being inspected.

How to get a gas safety certificate

To get a gas safety certificate, you must first organise a gas safety check with an engineer who’s licensed to carry them out and issue a record. You can verify this by using the Gas Safe Register’s Check the Register tool, which allows you to search for businesses and engineers that are legally allowed to carry out gas safety checks. On the day of the visit, you can request to see a Gas Safe ID card that confirms the engineer’s credentials.

Once you’ve found an engineer that you think can help, you should get in touch with them to arrange a quote and discuss whether they can meet your needs. Don’t forget to look at any online reviews that detail other people’s past experience with the service that they offer.

When it comes to inspecting and taking care of gas appliances, many people find the best value and convenience can be found by taking out a boiler care plan that covers everything they need. These plans are usually all-encompassing, taking care of safety checks and certificates and much more.

For instance, here at All England Gas, we offer both homeowner and landlord boiler cover to cater to all needs at great prices. And, all of our levels of care comprise an annual boiler servicing that includes full inspection of your appliances. Our packages also consist of other essential services that can help to give you peace of mind that your property is protected. Plus, each one of our engineers are fully competent and listed on the Gas Safe Register.

Does a new boiler or gas appliance need a gas safety certificate?

No, you will not need a gas safety certificate for a brand-new boiler right away, but you will need to book in an inspection within 12 months of its installation if you are a landlord (it’s also advised for homeowners). This will then need to be repeated annually in accordance with the law — see our advice on how long a gas safety certificate lasts for more information.

When a new boiler or other heat-producing appliance is installed in a property, your local authority must be informed. This will be done by the Gas Safe registered engineer who carried out the work and you will receive a Building Regulations Compliance certificate to confirm this within 10–15 days. You need to keep this document, as it is essential if you choose to sell the house. It’s also worth mentioning that, as the owner of the property, it’s your responsibility to make sure that the Building Regulations are upheld, so it’s up to you to follow up if you don’t receive this certificate.

In the market for a new boiler? Here at All England Gas, we can help you find the perfect model for your property through our personalised service. You can choose either an online or home survey and we’ll assess your needs to recommend the ideal boiler for you. We can also provide further support through our extensive boiler cover options.

What happens to a gas safety certificate when buying or selling a house?

When you’re buying a property, you’ll need to find out whether the gas appliances and flues within are in safe working order. By law, the seller of a property is not required to provide you with the latest gas safety certificate, but you may be able to get one from them if it’s requested.

If you’re not sure about the current state of the appliances, it’s a good idea to arrange for a gas safety check to be carried out. Should you be planning to let the property out and act as a landlord, you will need to do this anyway, as required by law.

As we’ve mentioned, if you’re selling a house, you will need to pass on the Building Regulations Compliance certificate that is issued when the boiler is installed as this belongs to the property.

If you’re looking for a reliable and stress-free way of maintaining the gas appliances and flues in your property, you might be interested in our boiler cover. We offer great value services for both homeowners and landlords, with a variety of care levels available.

We hope that this guide has answered any question you have about gas safety certificates. If you have any further questions about this essential document, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us and we’ll be happy to help. You can find more guidance in our help and advice centre and FAQs.

Please note: The advice in the guide is intended to give you an overview of gas safety in the home. For the latest on laws and regulations, you should visit the Gas Safe Register and the HSE’s gas safety guidance.

Still have questions?

Call us now! 0800 193 1938